Heavenly Yet Beautiful Cupcakes

Starting my own cupcake company was a thrill and I learn so much. But I yearned for the calm of taking my time to create perfect little decorations and unique flavor combinations. After selling my business, I decided to focus on teaching my craft. I hope this site will inspire you to create and indulge in one of the best and most satisfying desserts...the cupcake.

Monday, June 9, 2008

Make Them Beautiful


It is so easy to make cupcakes or cakes stunning. All you need is a little imagination and some time. There are places one can buy sugar flowers. I highly recommend buying them, but making them can be fun...especially for kids.
The ones in this image were purchased from http://www.fancyflours.com/. A great little site with fun and beautiful decorations. To make the leaves, I used left over frosting which I added green to. The tip is a leaf tip. Practice makes perfect when it comes to piping. You can find disposable bags and a variety of tips at http://www.fancyflours.com/ or http://www.michaels.com/.
You can use a recipe for cake to make cupcakes. However I would add more fat (butter or oil) to make sure the little ones don't dry out in the oven. If you are not much of a baker, the pre-mixed cake mixes are great. And for the frosting I would recommend making your own. A great recipe mixes soft unsalted butter with confectioner's sugar. I never give measurements because you should decide how sweet you want it. But generally it's 2 sticks butter to every 4 cups confectioner's sugar. For those with no patience or time, buying a tub of pre-made icing works. But I would try adding two sticks of soft butter and whipping it. It will give you a smoother and more "homemade" flavor.

No comments: