Heavenly Yet Beautiful Cupcakes

Starting my own cupcake company was a thrill and I learn so much. But I yearned for the calm of taking my time to create perfect little decorations and unique flavor combinations. After selling my business, I decided to focus on teaching my craft. I hope this site will inspire you to create and indulge in one of the best and most satisfying desserts...the cupcake.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Cornflake Hydrangeas






I simply love chocolate covered cornflakes. Those delicious clusters of tender chocolate with a crunchy middle. Yummmm. So I thought to myself....self, how can I add these beauties to cupcakes. And this is what I came out with.

Ingredients:

Your favorite cupcakes
Your favorite buttercream (I would suggest vanilla or salted caramel)
Cornflakes
1-2 cups white merckens chocolate melts (or regular white chocolate chips)
Food coloring of your choice (I used blue) + green
Silver sugar dragees
Small ceramic flower pots
Piping bag and leaf tip


Directions:

1. Place your cupcakes securely in the flower pots
2. Pour white chocolate merckens into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20-30 seconds or until completely melted. If you are using chocolate chips, heat in microwave in 15 second intervals until completely melted.
3. Once melted, add your dye and stir until combined
4. Sort through your cornflakes and find the best ones. Toss, or eat, the broken ones or small ones. You will need at least 8-12 flakes per cupcake.
5. Dip each cornflake into the chocolate and place on either a cooling rack or wax paper to harden.


6. Lightly frost your cupcakes with the buttercream
7. Place cornflakes, now your petals, on the cupcakes in such a way that you create 4 petal flowers.
8. Cover as much of the cupcakes with the cornflakes.


9. Add the silver dragees to the centers of every 4-petal flower
10. Dye 1 cup of buttercream green.
11. Using a piping bag and leaf tip, pipe some leaves to cover the space in between the 4-petal flowers.

Biting into these is euphoric. The combination of crunch, chocolate, buttercream and cake is mind blowing. If you have had a rotten day...have one of these.


They will certainly cheer you up!

No comments: