Heavenly Yet Beautiful Cupcakes

Starting my own cupcake company was a thrill and I learn so much. But I yearned for the calm of taking my time to create perfect little decorations and unique flavor combinations. After selling my business, I decided to focus on teaching my craft. I hope this site will inspire you to create and indulge in one of the best and most satisfying desserts...the cupcake.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Food Allergies? Here Are Some Great Recipes


I recently posted a bit on my situation. My baby developed an allergy to my tatas’ milk. I had to eliminate EVERYTHING. After the doctor tested his blood, it turns out he isn’t allergic to anything he suspected. And now, he’s fine. But he’s on formula. Disappointing, I know. I was really looking forward to breast feeding for a while but it just wasn’t working for him.
ANYWAY, one of my readers named Bobbi sent me a lovely email as a result of my elimination post. Turns out her little niece suffers from food allergies. The poor thing is allergic to sugar, gluten, egg and dairy! And yet Bobbi put her thinking cap on and developed the following cupcake recipes.
I tried them and wow, they are delicious. I thought I would share them as I know there are so many children and adults with food allergies. And everyone should be able to indulge with a yummy cupcake every once and a while!

Chocolate Gluten Freedom Cupcakes

1 cup soy milk (or rice milk)
1/3 cup canola oil
¾ cup sugar (or 3/4 cup honey)
2 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp almond extract
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt

1. Combine soy milk, oil, sugar and extracts. Mix to combine. Add
tapioca and flax until dissolved.
2. Add rest, mix on med-high until well combined – 2 minutes.
3. Fill liners, bake 20-23 mins at 350 degrees.



Vanilla Gluten Freedom Cupcakes

1 cup soy milk (3/4 cup soy milk)
1/3 cup canola oil
¾ cup sugar (3/4 cup honey)
2 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp almond extract
1/3 cup corn flour OR almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda (3/4 tsp baking soda)
¼ tsp salt

1. Combine soy milk, oil, sugar and extracts. Mix just to combine.
Add tapioca and flax and mix until dissolved and emulsified.-
2. Add rest, mix at med-high 2 minutes until well combined.
3. Fill liners, bake at 350 for 20-23 mins.

(Makes 36 mini cupcakes)


Brown Rice Caramel Glaze

½ cup soy milk
¼ cup soy milk powder
1 tbsp arrowroot
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. In saucepan, whisk together soy milk, powder and arrowroot. Stir
constantly over med heat until arrowroot is cooked and mixture starts
to thicken, about 4 minutes. Stir in syrup, turn up heat to medium
high and bring to gentle boil, then reduce to simmer, all while
stirring. Cook until thick and slightly reduced – 10 minutes. Will
have consistency like cake batter. Whisk in vanilla and remove from
heat.
2. Allow to cool 10 minutes before spreading on cupcakes.


Thick Chocolate Fudgy Frosting

½ cup margarine, at room temp
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup cocoa
½ cup soy milk powder

Whip up margarine (you can also use coconut butter, it gives the buttercream a very warm and tropical taste). Add nectar, vanilla, cocoa and soy milk (or rice milk, almond milk or potato milk)

Enjoy!

No comments: