Heavenly Yet Beautiful Cupcakes

Starting my own cupcake company was a thrill and I learn so much. But I yearned for the calm of taking my time to create perfect little decorations and unique flavor combinations. After selling my business, I decided to focus on teaching my craft. I hope this site will inspire you to create and indulge in one of the best and most satisfying desserts...the cupcake.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Un Mojito Por Favor



Although I am not one to celebrate Cinco de Mayo....I needed an excuse to make this cupcake.

I have been wanting to experiment with ice cream cupcakes. Image an ice cream cake...but a cupcake! Of course I had to pick a sensational flavor...so I thought Cinco de Mayo...ice cream cupcake....hmmmmm. Why not a Mojito Ice Cream Cupcake!

The result was fabuloso!

Here's the recipe:

Cupcake:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 eggs
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
2 Sticks of unsalted butter (room temp)
Zest of 2 limes
1/2 mango (fresh and cut into pieces)

Filling:
Mojito ice cream. (Now, if you have no clue where to find this, you can try to order it from http://dolcezzagelato.com/ if not, you can mix a lime sorbet with crushed mint leaves)

Topping:
4 cups Lime Buttercream (use your favorite buttercream and mix in the zest of 3-5 limes and 1/4 cup of lime juice)

Directions:
Beat butter and sugar until fluffy and pale. Add one egg at a time until smooth and fluffy. Add the cream and mix until combined. Add flour and baking powder and mix until completely smooth. Lastly, add your zest, mango and mix.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scoop 1 tablespoon of your batter into 12 baking cups (should not be more than 1/4 full). Bake for 10-15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remaining batter: pour into a loaf pan or cake pan that has been greased.
Place all pans in the oven. Only bake the loaf or cake pan cake for 10 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean). Remove it from heat and let it cool.
Bake cupcakes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Now for the fun part:

Scoop about 1 tablespoon of your mojito ice cream in each cupcake and spread so the entire cake is covered. Please make sure to leave 1/8 th on an inch on top for the cake top.
Using a round cookie cutter, a knife or a round cutter, cut rounds from your loaf and place each on top of your ice cream cupcakes. Place all cupcakes in the freezer for 10 minutes. In the meantime, get your buttercream ready for piping.
Once frozen, pipe each cupcake with your lime buttercream.



No comments: