Heavenly Yet Beautiful Cupcakes

Starting my own cupcake company was a thrill and I learn so much. But I yearned for the calm of taking my time to create perfect little decorations and unique flavor combinations. After selling my business, I decided to focus on teaching my craft. I hope this site will inspire you to create and indulge in one of the best and most satisfying desserts...the cupcake.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sweet Marmalade!



Ever tasted a Pimm's cookie? That tangy orange jelly is to die for. I wanted to create this experience of biting into a cupcake to find a delicious marmalade surprise inside.
Although the following recipe was a huge success, I took a shortcut which I probably would not do in the future. Instead of a topping the cupcake with a decadent chocolate ganache, I opted to top it with a vanilla buttercream. It's still yummy....but the chocolate I'm sure would make it simply divine. So, here you go:

Recipe:

Cake:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 eggs
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
2 Sticks of unsalted butter (room temp)
Zest of 3 oranges
Zest of 1 grapefruit

Filling:
1 cup of the finest marmalade you can find
1/2 cup of buttercream (you can also use whipped cream)
3 tablespoons Grand Marnier (optional)

Topping:
Your favorite buttercream

Directions:
Beat butter and sugar until fluffy and pale. Add one egg at a time until smooth and fluffy. Add the cream and mix until combined. Add flour and baking powder and mix until completely smooth. Lastly, add your zest and mix.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scoop your batter into baking cups (about 3/4 full). Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.



Once cooled, either cut a cone shaped well or use a round long cutter to make each cupcake hollow. Make sure to keep the very top to cover the filling once filled:


In a small bowl, mix your filling ingredients until fully incorporated. Scoop about a tablespoon of the filling into each cupcake. If you want to be sassy you can drizzle some Grand Marnier into the cupcakes before adding the filling. Obviously I wouldn't recommend this for children...but go for it if it's a girl's night. :)



Top all your cupcakes with the tops you hopefully kept. If you forgot or accidentally ate them, no biggy, just make sure to cover them with buttercream. Frost cupcakes with you buttercream and voila!


Here is the dissected view of your masterpiece.


No comments: